Wow today’s recipe title is long! But you simply cannot shorten that much goodness ;)
These cookies are tiny but powerful and combine two of my favorite Christmas cookies: Chocolate Crinkle Cookies and Thumbprint Cookies. I’ve linked my favorite recipes for both, in case you are still on the hunt for some Christmas cookie recipes. But back to today’s Chocolate Crinkle Thumbprint Cookies. They are naturally gluten-free, as the dough is made with ground almonds and cocoa and you can fill them with pretty much anything. For the special occasion I chose creamy white chocolate, melted with gingerbread spices and a shot of Scottish Glen Grant Whiskey. The Whiskey is surprisingly fruity, which adds that special something to the double chocolate cookie. You could also fill these cookies with jam. Red currant or raspberry would work very well.
- 2 egg whites
- 200g ground almonds
- 200g caster sugar
- ½ tbsp honey
- 4 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 50g icing sugar
- 100g white chocolate
- ½ tsp gingerbread spice
- 1 tbsp whiskey
- 2 tbsp heavy cream
- Preheat your oven to 170° fan. Line two baking trays with parchment paper.
- Whisk together egg whites, ground almonds, caster sugar, honey, cocao, cinnamon and salt.
- Shape small balls out of the dough. Place the balls on baking sheets leaving about 2 cm space between them. Chill the cookies in the fridge for 15 minutes. Press your thumb into the balls making deep indentations. Don't worry about the indentations being too deep as the cookies will spread while baking and the indentations will lose definition.
- Bake the cookies for 10 minutes, until the edges are light brown. Transfer the cookies to a wire and let them cool completely.
- Meanwhile melt the chocolate, gingerbread spice and whiskey in a pan over a pot of simmering water. Using a teaspoon, fill the cookies with the white chocolate and let them set.
UPDATE: The winners are Leni, Silvi and Dennis. Congratulations, you will receive an email from me shortly.
This week I’m giving away 3 Glen Grant Whiskey Christmas gift sets, consisting of a bottle of Glen Grant 10 years and two whiskey glasses.
To enter this giveaway:
1. Comment down below and tell me your favorite Christmas cookie, and
- This giveaway ends on December 27th 2016 at 23:59 GMT.
- The winners will be chosen at random and contacted by e-mail. Please make sure to leave a valid e-mail address.
- This giveaway is open to Austrian, German and Swiss residents only.
Disclaimer: The prize was kindly provided by Campari Austria. All decisions are final. No cash disbursement and/or a replacement of the prize is possible.