If your heart belongs to chocolate, my Red Velvet Crinkle Cookies will melt your heart. Some associate red velvet with Christmas, to me, it goes hand in hand with Valentine’s Day. The red color and the deep cocoa flavor scream romance to me.
I love the taste of red velvet, it is chocolaty, but still light. My Red Velvet Crinkle Cookies have a rich cocoa flavor, but are light and almost airy. The addition of cream cheese makes the batter even smoother and gives the finished cookies a cake-like texture. You could even add white chocolate chips, but I wanted mine to be simple and delicious.
- 130g all-purpose flour
- 10g unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 60g unsalted butter, softened
- 90g granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 30g cream cheese
- 2 tbsp buttermilk
- 2 tsp red food coloring
- icing sugar for rolling
- granulated sugar for rolling
- Whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt and set it aside.
- In another bowl, beat the butter togehter with the granulated sugar for a minute, until the mixture is fluffy. Mix in the egg and cream cheese. Add the buttermilk and food coloring and mix well. Gradually add the flour mixture and mix until just combined. Chill the dough for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 175°C. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Take about two teaspoons of dough and form a ball between your hands. Roll the dough ball, first in the granulated sugar until coated, then in the icing sugar. Place the balls on the parchment paper, leaving about 4cm space between the cookies. Bake the cookies for 12-15 minutes, until the surfaces of the cookies crack. Let the cookies cool a bit before transferring them to a wire rack.
*Adapted from Cooking Classy
I’m not one to celebrate Valentine’s Day big, but I like to show my favorite people some love with homemade goodies. My Red Velvet Crinkle Cookies can be easily whipped up in a flash and would make perfect little treats to show some love to your other half or bestie! They look super cute and trust me, the cookies will wow everyone when they take their first bite!
What will you be making for Valentine’s Day this year?