Winter is coming and I’m in need of sweet comfort food. Gone are the days when I’m satisfied with a smoothie for breakfast. I want creamy Vanilla Rice Pudding for breakfast to warm me up from the inside. My “oatmeal” for the colder months as I like to call it ;)
It is such a simple recipe, I was contemplating if I should really post it. This version is completely refined sugar-free and you can also easily make it vegan, by using a plant-based milk of your choice.
I’ve added a simple raspberry sauce to my rice pudding, but if you want to keep it really simple, it also tastes heavenly with a sprinkle of cinnamon on top.
- 100g arborio rice
- 500ml milk
- 1 vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- For the raspberry sauce
- 50g frozen raspberries, thawed
- 2 tsp coconut sugar
- Place the rice, milk, vanilla bean and seeds and coconut sugar in a saucepan and bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover it up and let it cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove the vanilla bean.
- For the raspberry sauce, defrost the raspberries and blend them. Strain the mixture through a fine mesh sieve and mix in the coconut sugar. Set aside.
- Fill two small pots halfway with the rice pudding, then add some raspberry sauce and top it off with more rice pudding. If you like a little sweeter, sprinkle some more coconut sugar on top. Serve it either warm or let it cool and refrigerate it.
To make the rice pudding vegan, use plant-based milk, for example almond milk.
What is your favorite breakfast recipe for winter?